Muller begins asking the others what they would do if it was peace-time again. Kropp grumpily tells him he would get drunk. Kat tells them they would all go home and shows them a picture of his wife. Haie says he would find a beautiful girl and spend a week in bed with her. They all contemplate this for a minute, and then Haie says he'd probably stay in the army if he was a noncommissioned officer. I cannot believe this, but Haie says the army during peace-time is better than digging peat. Afterwards, he could become a police officer. Kat tells him that he will never become a non-com, and that silences him. Muller asks Tjaden what he would do, and Tjaden can only think of revenge against Himmelstoss. When asked, Detering says that he would simply go on working on his farm.
Himmelstoss appears, and greets the men awkwardly. We, of course, are hostile. Tjaden calls him a dirty hound, and Himmelstoss orders him to stand up. When Tjaden responds rudely and passes gas, Himmelstoss threatens him with court-martial and storms off. Everyone laughs but Kat, who knows Himmelstoss is serious. Tjaden, however, doesn't care, and leaves to avoid the superiors.
Muller continues asking his question. Instead of answering him, Kropp starts talking about the subjects they studied in school. It is clear to all that what they learned in school isn't very useful to them. Kropp says that while Kat, Haie, and Detering have jobs back home, none of the boys know how to do anything but fight. They never had the chance to learn anything else. "'The war has ruined us for everything.'"
Himmelstoss returns with a fat sergeant-major, looking for Tjaden. The men pretend they don't know. The sergeant-major announces that Tjaden is ordered to report to the Orderly Room in ten minutes. Paul goes and tells Tjaden that they are looking for him, and he goes to find another place to hide. Himmelstoss returns after a half-hour and tells them that they should look for Tjaden. Kropp responds by mocking him, and Himmelstoss storms off again. That night, the trial is held. Lieutenant Bertink calls them all as witnesses. When Paul and Kropp explain why Tjaden hates Himmelstoss, Bertink lectures Himmelstoss on the difference between the front and the parade-ground in training camp. He gives Tjaden three days in the camp's jail and Kropp one, but only because he is obligated to. The others are free to visit them and play cards, which they do for most of the night.
After the game, Kat and I go hunting for the geese they heard on the way to the front for wiring detail. They hitch a ride on a supply wagon back to the shed where the geese are held. It is part of a regimental headquarters. I climb over the wall and sneaks to the shed. I grab the two geese, but they put up a mean fight and make a lot of noise. A guard dog tries to bite at my neck, so I stay still with my collar protecting my neck. I am stuck for a long time, until I manage to slowly pull my gun and fire it at the dog. I jumps up, grabs a goose, and runs. At the wall, I throw the goose to Kat and climbs out of the way just as the dog jumps at me. Kat and I run back to camp and roast the goose. As it cooks, I think about how much Kat and I have in common due to the war, doze off, and dreams of a place like heaven. When the goose is finished, we eat heartily. We wrap the rest in newspaper and take it to the jail to give to Kropp and Tjaden. After the two in jail happily eat, Kat and I walk back to the hut to sleep.
* louse: a small wingless insect that lives as a parasite on humans and other animals. There are sucking lice, e.g. head and body lice, and biting lice, e.g. bird lice.
"Killing each individual louse is difficult buisness when a man has hundreds" (Remarque, 75)
* non-com: a non-commisioned officer
"You'll never be a non-com. though Haie," (Remarque, 79)

The Americans believe that they are immune to anarchy and whatever it tries to throw at us to bring us down, will ultimately backfire and destroy itself.
Family and friends is the most important thing ever and no matter what they will be here for you. They give you hope and courage just when it seems like the candle is about to go out. They love you and want to protect you and just want you to make the right decisions in life. Even in violent times, they can be your shelter and your refuge.
No comments:
Post a Comment